Friday, October 01, 2004

Broken

I broke my fast today, as planned. God's grace is so beyond amazing. This fast went really quickly... and I didn't really struggle this time much, except for last night when I was making pizza for David and David and it smelled soooooooo good! I just had to pray through it. God sustained me.

So today, all I could think about was my Chipotle Corn Soup that I make every fall. I decided I'd break with that since it's soup... and I made homemade bread too. Yum. I am a happy camper.

This was good though. It's cool how God meets you and speaks when you are still enough to really listen. I learned a lot about prayer this time... I realized that I have become really timid in my prayer life... that's such a weak area in my busy world. But I was watching Joyce Meyer on Tuesday, I think, and she said something really profound yet very simple: she said, "Prayer allows us to be violent against the violence of Satan in our lives." I love that. She went on to say that he will do anything he can to stop us from praying -- distractions, making us sleepy, deceiving us into believing that our prayers really aren't all that effective, etc.

I feel that I have been lulled into sleep regarding prayer. It's always last on my list of things to do, and it should be first. "You have not because you ask not." Well, there ya go. My version of prayer for awhile has been "firecracker" style... sending up the quick little short prayers throughout the day when I need it or when I think of it. And those are okay, but I really feel like I need to make a concentrated effort to spend more quality time in prayer communing with God. It's a privilege.

No comments: