Friday, May 28, 2004

Emerging Church

I'm reading "Emerging Worship" by Dan Kimball... I'm really intrigued by what he has to say and am exploring this Emerging Church movement and concept. This paragraph stuck out to me as I think about the current church and how it's not making disciples, which is what we have been commanded to do:

"If Jesus were to look at how we spend our time during the week and how we think, worry, and make plans regarding the weekly worship service, what would He say to us? How much time would Jesus spend sitting in an office designing a worship gathering? How much time would He spend on other aspects of spiritual formation and the mission of making disciples? These questions I think we need to ask in the emerging church if we are serious about making disciples."

Jesus said, "Go into all the world and make disciples...," not "Go into all the world and make really big worship services with great music and really hot Powerpoint and a hip worship team that sounds like Coldplay." That stuff is cool, but yes, our focus in the past century has been on the gathering, not on the discipling that should happen during the week.

Hmmm. I'm very interested in this as a new church leader. We'll see where this road leads.

I'm also delving into Reformed theology a bit more. I was raised with Armenian thought mostly, but there's a lot of the Reformation thought that I don't disagree with. I guess I'm just at a place where God is having me really nail down my doctrine, something I've always just taken for granted. There is so much that it's sometimes overwhelming, but it's also fascinating to me.

No comments: